Shaper Vise Clone update

After machining the parts and slowly piecing them together, I finally started to assemble the vise, machined it up up as a whole on the shaper, and cut the slot in it for the nut, It needs a little more cleanup work but as soon as the nut and everything are put together and finished, the vise should be ready to be fitted with some steel jaws and used.

The shaper leaves a mirror smooth finish on the cast aluminum parts, and is smooth as glass.

If you look at the wrench sitting on the vise body, you can see the reflection of the wrench in it, thats how it comes right off of the machine. As slow as people say the shaper is, I find that it has it’s slow moments, but usually I can do parts on it faster than I can do on a bridgeport, and defenitely comes in its prime  when doing the odd jobs like custom profile grooves and such. Just grind a blank piece of HSS bit, and your good to go rather than having to send out for a custom cutter, which will get quite expensive, very fast.

Spin Indexer Plate Calculator (python)

I did up this program to calculate out the amount of divisions that a spin indexer could do, and calculate out the degrees that each needs. I designed it because If you have custom plates, you’ll get different values for everything, and this program will calculate everything out for you, with the degrees needed to achieve each division. Just change num to whatever you want to get the divisions and list of degrees to get those numbers.

num = 360

for i in range(1, num + 1):
    if num % i == 0:
        print'\n', i, '\n'
        while True:
          if j==num:

If you dont want to mess with it, and only want the 360 degrees printout, I have it here:

I had mine start at 0 and removed the 360 to make it easier for my indexer.

Rhodes Shaper Vise clone

I recently had gotten an old 7 inch rhodes shaper/slotter combo, but never had a vise on it, so for now, ive been using a drill press vise to machine my castings down, but it has it’s limits. So I searched around and got a set of blueprints off of the original shaper vise that came on the vise, so I made a pattern, and cast a new one out.

Ive only machined the swivel base so far and the jaw roughed out, but dont have any pictures of the jaw, and was just going to machine the vise body itself on the shaper to get it dead true to the machine once it’s all assembled and in use.


Soule Steam Festival Day2

Soule Steam Festival Day1

Neva-Clog Model S100 Stapling Pliers

American Stationer

neva clog s100 stapler sm wm

Arguably one of the most successful stapler designs ever, today’s vintage item is the Neva-Clog model S100 plier stapler. Billed throughout the 1930’s as the “first successful portable fastening device ever made”, the model S100 was an extremely high-quality fastener that was widely used in many industries and not just in an office setting. There are many examples of these being used in shops, farms, leather-working, florists, shipping rooms and such which showcases their utility and durability.

The model S100 measures 7.125″ L x 0.875″ W x 4″ H and weighs 10 ounces empty. It is made of polished steel with not a speck of plastic anywhere to be found. It uses special-sized A1000 or L1000 Neva-Clog staples.

A1000 Staples sm wm front and rear views of box of A1000 staples

The S100 was one of the successors to the model 100 which was made from approximately 1926 until 1936. The model 100 was…

View original post 389 more words

Algonquin Mill Festival 2016

Jim builds a metal lathe!

If you delve deep enough into the dark corners of DIY and metalworking websites, you’ll come across a name that’s either treated with hushed reverence, or outright derision, with very l…

Source: Jim builds a metal lathe!

Makerfaire 2015

here’s what pics from this year’s world makerfaire, taken on my phone/camera.

Photo0894 Photo0871 Photo0872 Photo0873 Photo0874 Photo0875 Photo0876 Photo0877 Photo0878 Photo0879 Photo0880 Photo0882 Photo0883 Photo0884 Photo0885 Photo0887 Photo0889 Photo0890 Photo0891 Photo0892 Photo0893

I didnt get to take many pics this year, but as you can see the ones I did get, it was still alot of fun. Other person with me took most of the pics this year.

Restore youtube video player to old player

For a while now, Ive been trying to get the old youtube player back because the new one is extremely memory intensive on all browsers and causes freezes, constant crashes, (firefox crashed 10x+ times within an hour when trying to switch between videos and tabs on youtube).

I finally figured out that the problem isnt with youtube, but with thier new HTML5 player that they’re trying to push out, the old flash based player still works fine if you can enable it. Here’s a plugin to enable it so you get the old, fast, non glitchy video player back.

Just install it, it’ll reload all youtube pages automatically and enable only the flash player from then on. Havnt had a single problem with freezing or crashing since.