HHO reactor update

I finally got a case for the reactor and got everything built, but it still has alot to be done with it including the bubbler, torch internals (stuffed with bronze wool) and some flashback arrestors in it. I was using tap water to run it instead of distilled water, and I run into one thing with tap water that you dont get with distilled water. Our water has a bunch of iron in it and the reactor tends to pull the iron out of the water, which rusts in the water, then sinks to the bottom, so after a few times of refilling it, which is a year or so of running, you have to dump everything out and refill it with new potassium hydroxide and water, and scrub out everything. That’s not that bad of a tradeoff tho compared to the amount of money you spend in tanks of gas to go the normal route for a small torch.

The reactor casing is made from an old amway water filter I think it was, but it was a massive water filter that says amway on it anyways. The walls on it was 1/4 inch thick and it was frozen solid when I got it, so it can withstand pretty much everything you throw at it, also the seals are completely air tight.

Here’s some pics of the reactor, inside of it, and the torch so far:

Photo0799 Photo0800 Photo0801 Photo0803 Photo0804 Photo0806 Photo0807 Photo0808 Photo0810 Photo0811 Photo0812

Also have a few pics of my little PWM controller that I made to just control the current a little bit, straight DC into the thing pulls too much current and causes things to overheat, but with a pwm controller, the thing actually keeps the current down to a very small portion, and causes the output on the gas to be the same if not a little more.

Edit:

I added a few more parts to it and now it runs great, I added an LF36 water pressure switch that I modified a little to turn up the limit on it to around 5-8 psi, and wired it into the computer power switch, so when too much gas builds up now, it triggers the pressure switch, turning off the power supply and shutting the whole unit down until the pressure goes down. This prevents any pressure building up and leaking into the unit and making it dangerous.

Here’s a pic of the sensor that I used, it came from an old whirlpool front loader washing machine that someone threw away and we got for scrap metal.

LF36_Pressure_Switch_Water_Level_Switch

I still need to go grab the pvc pipes, springs, and hose barbs for everything, but Im very very close to being finished with it. After I get everything in town, Ill have to get some bronze wool from online, pack it into the flashback arrestor, and the torch, then solder everything up. Then Ill have everything good to go and Ill be ready to light the torch and start brazing with it and such.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: