New Steam Engine

With the vise completed and working great on the shaper, I figured I would go onto building patterns for the next big project, a steam engine!

It will have a 3 inch piston, 3 inch stroke, and around a 5-6hp rating. I also plan on building a 2 HP, single cylinder engine based off of an O&S orr & sembower engine (no idea if thats the right spelling, but is is the one david richards uses on his youtube channel), which will also be the same piston/stroke length later on when I finish this one. With everything in my shop running from lineshaft, it would be neat to at least have it set up with a little lineshaft setup of it’s own, and with the amount of power that this thing will have, it’ll easily be able to run everything in my shop if I really wanted to, lol. Also as much as the power is goes out around this area, not needing electricity to run the stuff sounds like a really nice idea, (even if it’s just a pipe dream) just have it hooked up to an alternator with 12v lights.

I have the cylinder pattern finished now, just need to get the steam chest, core box, and steam chest cover made next, which then I can use the same pattern for all future engines. They are big engines, but with the new shop being built and most of the stuff being built in the 1920s, they would fit right in. Also with various steam shows around this area, I plan on taking them to shows and such later on in the future.

Here’s the progress so far on cylinder casting, rest of the castings should be much easier from here on out.

That water putty stuff is awesome stuff, Im used to using bondo when making patterns, and usually if it’s thicker, it’ll want to crack and you have to go back and keep fixing it, that stuff does not and it’s much more resistant to being beat on with the sand rammer. It still needs a few coats of laquer put on it to really seal it up and make it waterproof, but most of the hard part is done for the most part.  Its covered in dust from sanding on it, which is why it looks all white atm, when I go to seal it up, it’ll change the way it looks to make the pattern lines and such much more visible.

I might have to make a core bit to drill the hole for the core box, but that’ll be a quick job for the lathe really if it comes to that.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: